It’s finally March, and it’s come in like a Lion, as they say. So let’s take a moment to hunker down, away from the seemingly endless snow and talk about what happened at Pratt SILS the last week of February.
SILSSA is delighted to offer five scholarships of $500 per student to attend the ALA Annual Conference in San Francisco. Dates for the 2015 conference are June 25-30 and SILS students interested in a career in Public, Academic or School libraries are encouraged to attend. This is a great opportunity to learn about current issues in the profession, attend presentations and poster sessions, get actively involved with an ALA Chapter, meet your peers and your future co-workers, and meet a favorite author (or two)! Only current students may apply for the scholarship.
To apply, fill out an application at: http://bit.ly/1zQ90Hv
The deadline to submit is March 15!!
Recipients will be notified by March 20th.
The last week of February saw some awesome SILSSA events!
- The Pratt SILS Afternoon of Service with NYPL Correctional Services on February 26th was a huge success! Over the course of the afternoon, Pratt SILS students helped achieve everything on the to-do list for the day! Many thanks to everyone who participated, and to NYPL Correctional Services for hosting an excellent event.
- Friday, February 27th saw the SILSSA-sponsored trip to Yale’s Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library. Thirteen SILS students attended, and were given a tour of the building, as well as the opportunity to get up close and personal with some of the Beinecke’s fantastic and extensive collection. Many, many thanks to Alison Clemens for an excellent and educational afternoon!
- SILSSA held its monthly general meeting on Monday, February 23rd. The proposed amendments to the SILSSA constitution were voted on, and passed unanimously. The meeting minutes are available to view and comment on.
- The next SILSSA general meeting will be Wednesday, March 25th, at 6:00pm, in room 609. We will be discussing our upcoming events, SILSSA officer elections, and the end-of-year Student Showcase. Hope to see you there!
- In conjunction with the Pratt Diversity Committee, SILSSA is proud to be hosting a panel on Gender and LIS, at 5pm on March 27th. There will be discussion and Q&A, as well as a Student Happy Hour to follow. Keep an eye out for more information about this event!
- Just a reminder: Spring Break, woo! Spring Break is March 16-20, and we’ll see you in Cancun! (SILSSA is not going to Cancun).
- There’s even more cool stuff planned for April, including a Wikipedia Edit-a-thon, a Zine-making Workshop, and a Public Librarianship Panel. We’ll let you know more about these events as they get closer.
It’s been a busy month, and we hope that March will be just as much fun! As always, feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any comments, questions or suggestions, and follow us on Twitter and Instagram.