Howdy, Pratt SILS! It’s the weekly round-up, and we’ve got some good stuff to go over:
- Our Happy Hour last Friday, co-hosted with SAA@Pratt, was tons of fun! We had a great time discussing libraries, archives and Gingerdead Man, starring Gary Busey, which was being ‘screened’ on the wall, to the delight and horror of many!
We hope you’ll join us for the next happy hour; keep an eye out for posts and emails once we finalize the date and location. (And if you have a suggestion for a neighborhood or bar we should get happy in, let us know!)
- Pratt SILS student Allison Piazza is organizing a weekend study group for SILS students. She writes,
“I’m looking for people to meet at Pratt on Saturday or Sunday from roughly 12-4pm every weekend to read and/or work on projects (including the e-Portfolio). We’d sit together in a classroom or the conference room but otherwise work quietly and independently.”
The group will be meeting this Saturday, February 14 at 1pm in the PMC Library conference room. If you’re interested in future study groups, you can sign up here.
- Our blog, Keyword is up and running. You’re reading it right now, in fact! Right now, we’re posting twice a week, including the round-up, but we’d love to do more. If you’ve been to a conference, are working on an interesting project, or just feel like you have something to say, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and you, too, can become a LIS blogger!
We have come great events coming up at the end of this month:
- Many of us are drawn to library science by a desire to help others. So let’s flex those service muscles by joining NYPL’s Correctional Services Program on Thursday, February 26th at their midtown office! All are welcome to drop in anytime between 1-6pm, for as long as you are able. Staff will direct us in the tasks that will be most helpful to the inmate population they serve. This could include answering reference letters, packaging boxes, and a number of other service-oriented tasks! Please RSVP if you plan on attending, so NYPL knows how many people to expect: http://bit.ly/NYPLService
And if you haven’t already, check out this article in Newsweek featuring SILS, Professors Rabina and Drabinski, and all of you who have answered inmate reference letters! Thanks for all you have done, and continue to do!
- We will be taking a field trip to the Beinecke Rare Book & Manuscript Library at Yale on Friday, February 27th. It will be an all-day event, and space will be limited. We will send out an email with more detailed information and how to sign-up within the next few days, so keep an eye out!
- The next SILSSA general meeting will take place Tuesday, February 24th, at 6pm in room 610 of PMC. We’ll discuss our upcoming events, and vote on a change to the SILSSA constitution (review the proposed changes here). Our aim is to make this meeting quick and easy, so join us, and don’t worry about being late to your 6:30 class!
If you have something you’d like for us to feature in our weekly round-up, or if you’re interested in writing for Keyword, please email us at email@example.com!