The students of the Graduate School of Information and Library Science at Pratt Institute hereby establish the student chapter of the American Library Association, which shall further be called the School of Information and Library Science Student Association with SILSSA serving as its acronym.
1. To facilitate and encourage participation in the American Library Association, work to promote scholarly achievement and professional awareness among its members, and promote active, imaginative research in the field of Library and Information Science.
2. To increase awareness and use of the resources of the American Library Association, including publications, promotional materials, scholarships and conferences.
3. To provide a local forum for the exchange of ideas and information about trends, issues, and opportunities in the profession.
4. To promote involvement in professional activities beyond the classroom.
5. To develop skills and relationships that will enable students to have a creative impact on the profession.
1. All students admitted to and enrolled in the School of Information and Library Science are automatically members of SILSSA.
2. Membership shall be open to all part-time and full-time students presently enrolled at Pratt Institute.
3. Only registered ALA members shall be allowed to vote on resolutions which pertain to American Library Association matters, including the election of the student delegate to the Annual convention.
4. In no aspect of its programs shall there be any difference in the treatment of persons because of race, national, origin, creed, color, disability, age, gender, any consideration based on affectional, sexual, or associational preference, or any other classification which would deprive the person of consideration as an individual. The organization will guarantee that equal opportunity and access to membership, programming, facilities, and benefits shall be open to all persons.
OFFICERS AND DUTIES:
1. Only members of ALA can hold office.
2. The President will coordinate activities between SILSSA and other
organizations, set and run meetings, and count the votes of the
3. The Vice- President will assume the duties of the President in her/
his absence, and assist with programming and conference planning.
4. The Secretary shall be in charge of notes at the meetings, general
correspondence, notifying people of meetings, and aiding in program
and conference coordination.
5. The Treasurer will aid the Secretary, collect dues and membership
fees if any, do promotion and recruiting, maintain the organization’s
financial records and present financial reports.
6. The Executive Board shall consist of the above Executive Officers
and the Faculty Advisor.
7. The Executive Board reserves the right to set up committees as
necessary to aid in their functions.
The advisor for the student chapter of the American Library Association will be:
1. A current member of the faculty at Pratt Institute School of Information and Library Science.
2. A current member of the American Library Association.
1. At the beginning of each semester there will be an organizational meeting. Subsequent meetings will be held as necessary throughout the semester.
2. Executive officers will meet once a month or more depending on the needs of the organization.
3. Activities and programs sponsored by the chapter will be open to individuals who are not chapter members.
1. The offices will be held for two semesters.
2. Nominations for offices will be accepted one month before the election.
3. Incumbent officers may be re-elected.
4. One must be a member of SILSSA to vote.
5. Voting will be done by an agreed upon method.
6. In the event of a vacancy the executive board will nominate an interim officer to serve until the next membership meeting, where an election shall take place.
7. The Executive Board may remove an individual holding an office by a majority vote.
1. Funds shall be raised through annual budget requests and fund raising activities.
2. Designated members of the Executive Board have the authority to authorize expenditures.
3. Upon dissolution group fees shall be divided in a manner decided upon by the membership. Upon dissolution state money and mandatory student fees revert back to the granting organization. Group fees should be divided as stated in the constitution.
1. Any member may suggest amending the constitution at any meeting. These suggestions will be voted on at the next meeting, or a special meeting may be called.
2. Amendments to the constitution will be voted on and passed by a majority vote of the members in attendance at the meeting.
A majority of those present is necessary to ratify this constitution.
This contract was hereby affirmed on September 13, 2002.
Note: Article III of this contract was amended by a unanimous vote at a SILSSA student group meeting held on February 23, 2015 to the following:
OFFICERS AND DUTIES:
1. Only members of ALA can hold office.
2. The President will attend SILS Faculty monthly meetings, set and run SILSSA officer meetings, act as liaison between the ALA Student Chapter head and SILSSA, prepare an end of seminar report to the SILSSA Faculty Officer, take the lead on programming events including organizing at least one off-site trip per semester, head up the preparation and organization of the annual Spring Showcase, and count votes of any SILSSA officer election in which they are not a candidate.
3. The Vice-President will assume the duties of the President in her/his absence, assist the President with event programming, co-organize the annual Spring Showcase with the President, act as liaison between SILSSA and other Pratt SILS Student groups, promote ALA Student Chapter activities on the PrattSILS google group, run SILSSA officer elections where the Vice-President is not a candidate, promote and coordinate scholarships for ALA conferences and notify winners, update the SILSSA toolkit as required, and distribute a link to the toolkit at the start of each semester via Pratt SILS google group.
4. The Secretary shall be in charge of note taking at SILSSA officer meetings and SILSSA student meetings (unless she/he is running the student meeting in which case another officer will take notes), archive the minutes in a shared SILSSA Googledoc file, handle general correspondence, notify SILS students of upcoming events via the Pratt SILS google group and social media, make room bookings for SILSSA events held on campus, coordinate content for the SILSSA website, assist in the annual Spring showcase – now#infoshow.
5. The Treasurer will maintain SILSSA’s financial records, present financial reports, file all financial requests to the SGA, coordinate distribution of reimbursements from events (via a form that President can fill out also), and assist in the annual Spring showcase.
6. All SILSSA officers will work on Outreach (social media and event planning/program planning) as required, each officer will run at least one SILSSA student meeting per semester, work on initiating ideas for events and, as delegated by the President, plan and run events including contacting guest speakers, use SILSSA’s social media accounts to promote events.
7. The Executive Board shall consist of the above Executive Officers and the Faculty Advisor.
8. The Executive Board reserves the right to set up committees as necessary to aid in their functions.